Data analysis is the process of inspecting, cleansing, transforming and modelling datasets to uncover patterns and extract insights. Many different tools and methods can be used for data analysis which includes: descriptive statistics, regression analysis, time series analysis, factor analysis, clustering, and decision trees. The job of doing data analysis falls upon a data analyst.
A data analyst is a person skilled in analyzing large data sets and then reporting on their findings. A data analyst may work with databases, statistics, or other forms of digital data. Generally speaking, a person employed as a Data Analyst will report on the findings from their work and then present these findings to those who need them. This can be done through reports, presentations, graphics and models. Data analyst mostly has an advanced degree or hold a certification in data analyst courses online. Today we will talk about the roles and responsibilities of data analysts in detail for aspiring data analysts. While we are at it, we will also have a look at some of the most common yet crucial data analyst interview questions.
Role of Data Analysts
- The role of a data analyst is to analyze data to improve business performance. Data analysts are trained in mathematics and statistics and can produce various reports that show insights from the collected data.
- The importance of these analysts has grown exponentially over the years as they provide a way for organizations to know what steps they need to take to increase revenue and profits or reduce costs.
- Data analysts are not programmers, but they have to have a strong understanding of database management, programming languages, and data structures. They also need problem-solving skills and analytical thinking skills.
- Data analytics requires creativity, curiosity, attention to detail, critical thinking abilities, sound judgment one’s intuition when making decisions based on consistency with previous evidence or research findings
- The three main areas where data analytics are used are marketing campaigns (which includes advertising), consumer behavior tracking so that you can offer personalized products or services), and financial markets predictions.
Their tasks also include:
- Bringing together all the data necessary for analysis and evaluation
- Data collection
- Data preparation
- Data visualization (e.g., charts)
- Establishing the statistical significance of findings
Responsibilities of Data Analysts
Data analysts are often responsible for the following:
- Gathering data from various sources and analyzing it. Data analysts are the people that gather data from various sources and find different patterns to solve problems. They make use of various analytical tools to process, compile and make sense of data. They are the driving force behind analytics and insights. A Data Analyst’s job is to turn raw data into meaningful insights that can be used in solving problems. Data analysts gather data from various sources, process it, compile it, make sense of it, analyze it for patterns and finally turn the processed information into insights that can be used by others in solving problems faster or more efficiently than traditional methods can deliver the same results.
- Presenting the facts and conclusions of the data analysis to stakeholders. The responsibility of an analyst is to extract meaning from raw data, which is difficult to find in its original form. Purely quantitative analysis can be difficult for outsiders to understand as a result as well.
- Using specialized tools to create reports, analyze data sets, and conclude a given topic.
Common Data Analysts Interview Question
A good Data Analyst should have an analytical mind and a creative approach to problem-solving. Answering these common data analyst interview questions, most of the time, will show your interviewing manager that you have a clear understanding of what a data analyst does.
- Can you please tell me the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?
- What is your opinion on bias in data? How do you deal with it?
- How would you solve an optimization problem?
For data analyst interview questions, an easy way to prepare is to come up with examples of how they might be asked at an interview and work out the answer in your head. That will make sure that whether or not you are asked those specific questions at your interview, you’ll be prepared for any other questions they may ask you!
That was everything that you needed to know about the job description of a data analyst. That will give you a clear idea about the roles and responsibilities of a data analyst. If you are looking to become a data analyst, start with the best data analytics courses online, and if you have any doubts, this will clear all your doubts about what you will be doing when you get the job.